If you’re like me, not very often. (embarrassing, but true…)
Recently, the local Fire Safety Inspector stopped into our office at Taylor Made. As expected, he took a look around the office and suggested that we get another power strip for our office equipment. And we did.
What impressed me was that he also took the time to ask questions.
Where are the fire extinguishers located? Do you know where the exits are? Have you ever used a fire extinguisher? Do you know how to check one to see if it is still operational?
Clearly, he wasn’t in our office to take us to task. He was there to educate. He taught us about fire extinguishers, what to do if ever there was a fire and he also had us agree to a meeting place if we had to exit the building in a hurry.
We all go to the local fire station for field trips when we’re in elementary school. We learn fire safety in school.
But like math and science, we forget some (or a lot) of what we’re taught.
I’ll admit that when our local Fire Safety Inspector stopped in, I sighed (inwardly). I was busy. Had a stack of work on my desk that needed done. I probably wouldn’t have asked questions, if he hadn’t made the effort to talk with me. But he took time, so I put my work aside and paid attention.
Our office is in Willoughby, Ohio. The link to our local fire department: http://willoughbyohio.com/fire/prevention.html
Another resource is the U.S. Fire Administration: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/
Important to know…
Local fire departments put OUT fires, but they also strive to help us avoid fires.
In that effort, many give away free smoke detectors. They’re also more than happy to go into businesses and other events to educate the community on fire prevention, teach CPR classes, child car seat safety, fire extinguisher classes and more.
Those who are caregivers for their loved ones might want to take a look at their local fire departments website for checklists on common home hazards. For example; frayed cords, extension cords that could cause a fall or that are overloaded, working batteries in smoke detectors and such things. They might also take a look around their own homes to make sure they are as safe as they can be.
We copied the materials given to us to pass along to our caregivers at Taylor Made, so that they are reminded of what to look for in our clients homes. Can’t be too careful!!
Note: Thanks Harley! We appreciate your stopping into our office to pass along some helpful information.